Contributions for political campaigns are recorded and monitored, and made available as public information in order to ensure transparency in the political process. The information found in these recorded contributions are closely monitored and analyzed by political parties and research organizations in order to look for trends in certain demographic groups. Oftentimes, when one files a political contribution, the donor provides information on their employer or gives some indication as to what line of work they are in. And when researchers examine various demographic groups, such as by location, job type, sex, or religion, they tend to find a diversity of contributions and opinions within each.
For instance, when conducting a general search on www.opensecrets.org for the search term “Catholic” listed under employer/occupation, we find 6,293 records for listings such as “Catholic priest,” “Catholic Health,” “Catholic High School,” and even “Catholic Relief Services.” As expected, in making a cursory examination of the contributions listed across those 6,293 records we find a widely diverse spread of donations to Democrat and Republican candidates alike. In other words, a statistical analysis of the political contributions by individuals working for Catholic institutions provides a general idea as to where Catholics in general stand with regard to political candidates and parties.
But when narrowing the search to employees of Catholic Relief Services, we see that the diversity narrows to the point of near exclusivity. In fact, of the 191 contributions for which we could find public records, 187 went to politicians who actively work to serve the abortion and contraceptive industry. That’s 98% of all public records for employees of CRS. In total, we have been able to obtain public contribution records for 52 CRS employees. 50 of those employees donated to openly pro-abortion politicians. Statistically, this indicates an overwhelming one-sidedness, with almost no diversity of opinion among those working for CRS.
What this data reveals is that the culture of Catholic Relief Services is not one that is friendly to pre-born babies or the Catholic faith it claims to serve. In fact, as we see that employees of CRS are donating almost exclusively to candidates diametrically opposed to the Catholic Church, we can easily conclude that it’s because their faith isn’t Catholicism — it’s the Democratic Party. And given this, it becomes a little clearer why CRS would annually facilitate tens of millions of dollars to organizations that commit abortion, perform sterilizations, and distribute contraception. It also explains the bevy of other problems found at CRS, such as its publication of manuals and programs promoting condom use, the implementation of contraception-promoting programs like Healthy Choices 2 and Shuga.
The list of CRS employee donations found in the public records is comprised primarily of higher-level employees, including two Executive Vice-presidents, two Vice-presidents, and two Chief’s of Party. The Chief of Party is the one responsible for leading and conducting major projects. Most disturbing of all, however, is that one of the employees contributed over $1,000 to Emily’s List, which exists for the sole purpose of having pro-abortion women elected to public office.
Jennifer Nazaire has worked for CRS for over 19 years. She currently serves as CRS’s Manager for Fellowships, Internships and Volunteers, Talent Development and the Human Resources Department. Nazaire donated a total of $1,100 to Emily’s List once in 2005 and twice in 2007. The ONLY stated mission of Emily’s list is, “We elect pro-choice Democratic women to office.”
Mark Palmer has been with CRS for nearly 18 years, and currently serves as Executive Vice President and CFO. Palmer made three donations to Planned Parenthood ally Barack Obama in 2008, totaling $1,500. In 2003, he gave $250 to “catholic” presidential candidate Wesley Clark, who said, “no one is going to take away a woman’s right to choose when I’m president of the United States. It’s that simple.”
Michael Wiest had been with CRS for over 18 years, ending his career as the Executive Vice President of Marketing and Fund Development until his retirement in December of 2011. It was Wiest who responded to the criticisms of noted moral theologian, Dr. Germain Grisez, who exposed the fact that CRS had an official policy to provide information on condom use in third world countries. Wiest, and his wife Toni, both made substantial contributions to Barack Obama’s campaigns in 2008 and 2012, and to the Democratic National Committee’s Services Committee, totaling $1,300.
Bill O’Keefe is the Vice President of Government Relations and Advocacy for CRS, and has been with the organization for over 13 years. In 2014, O’Keefe told CNN’s Belief Blog that CRS is “proud” that it does not evangelize. This year, O’Keefe contributed $500 to Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign.
Carol Bothwell served as a member of CRS’s executive leadership team as the Vice president and Chief Information Officer from 2007-2014. After retiring in December, 2014 continues to advise CRS on a part-time basis as the Director of Technology Innovation for Development. In 2009, Bothwell contributed $250 to the Democratic National Committee’s Services Corporation.
Melinda Burrell worked for CRS in various capacities for over 13 years, last serving as the Chief of Party for a program in Pakistan. Between 2004-2012, Burrell contributed a combined $6,400 to Barack Obama, DNC Services Corp, Democratic Party Committee Abroad, Tom Perriello (who said, “I firmly believe that abortion should not be criminalized”), and Patty Murray (who has a 100% rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America).
Dane Fredenburg has been with CRS for over 15 years, and is currently serving as its Chief of Party for Malawi. Since 2004, Fredenburg donated a combined $2,250 to Barack Obama and John Kerry.
All other political contribution records we have discovered for CRS employees are as follows:
- Adrian Alvarez, worked for CRS from 2004-2006, last serving as a program manager. Alvarez “married” his homosexual lover in 2014. In 2006, Alvarez contributed $250 to Lee Ardray Harris, who boasted of his “great visit” to “Planned Parenthood Memphis.”
- Alison Judd was the Regional Development Director for CRS from 2004-2015. Judd has made a combined 32 contributions of $632 to Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, Russ Feingold, and ActBlue.
- Andy Schafer has worked for CRS for over 3 years, most recently as a Country Representative in Pakistan. In 2008, he contributed $250 to Barack Obama.
- Anson Holzer has worked for CRS since 2015 as a Senior Advisor. This year, he has contributed $78 to the Bernie Sanders
- Benjamin Philips is a 9 year employee at CRS, most recently as a Country Representative in Uganda. He has contributed a combined $3,500 to the John Kerry campaign and DNC Services Corp.
- Bernie Chaves is a 9 year employee at CRS, currently serving as a Country Representative in Laos. This year, he donated $500 to Bernie Sanders.
- Bonnie Green worked for CRS for over 3 years as the Senior Commodity Advisor, leaving in 2006. She has made 6 political contributions totaling $1,800 to Barack Obama and pro-abort Steny Hoyer.
- Charisse Espy Glassman was a legal assistant for CRS who ran over pro-lifers with her car in 2011. Two months later, she donated $300 to the Fairfax County Democratic Committee.
- Charles Paquette is CRS’s director of Family Foundation & Philanthropy, and has been working for CRS since 2005. In 2006, Paquette contributed $250 to pro-abort Victoria Wels Wulsin.
- Conor Walsh is a Country Representative for CRS in Nicaragua. This year, he contributed $25 to pro-abort Michael Bennet.
- Courtney Phelps worked for CRS for 3 years, most recently as the Head of Programming. In 2011, she contributed $1,000 to Barack Obama.
- Daisy Francis worked for CRS for 10 years, most recently as the Protection Issues Adviser. From 2012 to 2016, Francis contributed a combined $930 to Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, and DNC Services Corp.
- Daniel Auger is a Program Manager for CRS. This year, he contributed $500 to Bernie Sanders.
- Douglas Norell is the Director for Legislative Affairs. In 2008 he contributed $250 to Barack Obama.
- Edward Walters worked from 1997-2005, lastly as the Agriculture Technical Adviser. In 2000, he contributed $250 to pro-abort Ralph Nader.
- Name Witheld to Protect the Employee contributed $750 to professed pro-life candidates.
- Heather Dolphin has been with CRS since 2010, currently serving as Regional Technical Adviser in Senegal. In 2015, Dolphin contributed $100 to Bernie Sanders.
- Geoffrey Heinrich is a 12 year employee at CRS, currently serving as Senior Technical Adviser in Zambia. In 2012, he contributed $200 to Barack Obama.
- Jessica Garrels is the CRS employee most recently exposed for “standing with Planned Parenthood.” In 2012, she contributed $200 to Barack Obama.
- JoEllen McGann worked for CRS from 2008-2011 as a Resource Management Coordinator. In 2009, she contributed $200 to ActBlue.
- John Taylor was the Relationship Manager for CRS from 2005-2014. This year, he contributed $10 to pro-abort Tammy Duckworth.
- Kaarli Sundsmo worked for CRS as the Emergency Program Consultant from 2008-2009. In 2008, she contributed $1,000 to Barack Obama.
- Kenneth Wynder worked for CRS in 2002. That year, he contributed $500 to pro-abort Dutch Ruppersberger.
- Kristin Weinhauer, Senior HIV Technical Advisor, has been with CRS for 14 years. This year, she contributed $1,000 to Bernie Sanders.
- Lorraine Pearson is a Senior Policy Advisor for CRS. In 2004, she contributed $250 to John Kerry.
- Mark Schnellbaecher was CRS’s Regional Director for Europe and the Middle East from 2004-2012. In 2012, he donated $250 to pro-abort Keith Ellison.
- Matthew Hochbrueckner was CRS’s Country Representative for Sierra Leone. In 1999, he contributed $250 to Al Gore.
- Matthew McGarry is CRS’s country representative for Jordan, West bank and Gaza. From 2008-2016, he has made 5 political donations totaling $6,800 to Barack Obama, pro-abort Martha Coakley, and DNC Services Corp.
- Mayling Herbert worked for CRS from 2004-2010 as a Senior Technical Health Advisor. Since 2004, Herbert made a combined $750 in contributions to Barack Obama, pro-abort Wesley Clark, and DNC Services Corp.
- Nadjejda Nelson was an Emergency Program Manager for CRS from 2011-2012. In 2012, Nelson contributed $250 to Barack Obama.
- Nancy Hearne was the Head of Office for CRS in Goma. In 2008, Herne contributed $250 to Barack Obama.
- Patrick Obrist has worked for CRS for 9 years, currently serving as a Business Development Specialist. In 2012, he contributed $500 to Barack Obama.
- Paul Hicks has been a Water Resources Coordinator for CRS since 1999. In 2008, Hicks donated $500 to Barack Obama.
- Sara Robinson has forked for CRS from 2005-2014, most recently serving as Program Developer and Manager. From 2007-2008, Robinson contributed a combined $4,537 to Barack Obama and DNC Services Corp.
- Sara Weinstein worked for CRS from 2002-2009, most recently as Deputy Regional Director in Guatemala. In 2008, Weinstein contributed a combined $750 to Barack Obama and the DNC Services Corp.
- Sarah Ford has been with CRS since 2006, currently serving as Director for Partnership and Capacity Strengthening. In 2008, she contributed $250 to Barack Obama.
- Sarah Robbins-Penniman has been working for CRS since 2015 as Senior Advisor for Supply Chain Knowledge Management. In 2013, Robbins-Penniman expressed her support for same-sex “marriage” on facebook. This year, Robbins-Penniman made 8 contributions for Hillary Clinton’s campaign, totaling $233.
- Sergio Lopez has been with CRS for over 2 years, serving as a Relationship Manager. This year, Lopez has made 16 donations for a combined $340 to Bernie Sanders and ActBlue.
- Sieglinde Gassman worked for CRS from 1993-1999 as the Country Director for Albania. From 1996-1999 Gassman contributed a combined $750 to Al Gore and DNC Services Corp.
- Tom Ulrich worked for CRS from 2004-2012 as the Director for Constituency Relations and Support. Between 2004-2012, Ulrich has contributed a combined $1,800 to Barack Obama, DNC Services Corp., and Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte.
- Tom Purekal is a Business Development Specialist at CRS. On June 28, 2015, Puerkal celebrated the Supreme Court decision in favor of Same-Sex “marriage” by placing a rainbow flag overlay on his facebook profile image. This year, Purekal donated $100 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
- Tracy O’Heir was the Assistant Country Representative for CRS from 2006-2009. In 2008, O’Heir donated $200 to Barack Obama.
- Name Witheld to Protect the Employee contributed $250 to professed pro-life candidates.
- Vanessa Tobin has worked for CRS since 2013 as Senior Adviser for Water Supply, Sanitation, and Water Resources. In 2012, Tobin expressed support for a “reproductive health bill” in the Philippines, which would have opened the way to the sale and distribution of contraception. This year, Tobin has made 13 donations totaling $134 to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.